Saturday, February 12, 2011

Conundrum

First of all, I want to say, without hesitation, I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my new DSLR camera.  The pictures are amazing, the feel of it in my hands makes me not want to put it down, the continuous shutter makes me feel like the paparazzi.  It is just plain addicting.  We went to the park this beautiful afternoon, and I think we took 350 pictures.  Who needs 350 pictures of the park?  No one.  But it sure was fun!

On the other hand, I am still 100% intimidated by it.  I've read the manual, I've looked at countless websites with helpful hints, I've read blogs of people with the same camera, I've studied other's photos...but I still just don't get it.  If it's not done with automatic settings, it's not done on my camera.  It feels likes such a waste!  I know it is capable of so many things, and I'm not even scratching the surface!

Another negative is that it does not have video.  Now we could pay an additional $250, and get the upgrade, but who wants to do that?  Just this week, I was at an assembly at Annabelle's school where she got an award (separate post to come later), but I wanted SO BADLY to video it after I saw that she would have her little moment in the spotlight and I only had my fancy camera there.  My fancy camera with no video.  It was frustrating.

So, I've done a little research on cameras that are still nice, with great picture quality, but that are a little more user friendly and with HD video. 

But it's not my DSLR.

I keep looking at it thinking how sad I will be if I give it back.  But at the same time, does it really fit my grab-and-go lifestyle?  Now that I've seen this side of the coin, will I be satisfied to go back to a point and shoot?

AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will I still be able to get shots like this?










 Annabelle was the photographer from here on...she was cracking us up with her paparazzi-style picture taking.  She was LOVING it...and so were we :)






WHAT WOULD YOU DO?????

UPDATE:  I think what I've decided to do is to keep my camera (WHOO-HOO!!!!) and still keep my trusty, but fuzzy point and shoot in the bottom of my diaper bag.  When we run across a good deal or when it totally bites the dust, I will get another decent replacement to have at all times and to capture little video clips when needed.  Best of both worlds!  :)  Thanks for your input!

4 comments:

Mike, Kacy & Wells said...

Some friends and I found a local photographer
Who does classes. She came to my house yesterday
And for the 8 of us, it was very reasonable. She showed
Us how to set up our cameras on manual and what
To look for when shooting. It was much more user friendly
Than reading the manual. I think I can get off auto now! And there are about 3 other accessories that I want
But I am going to hold off . . .

On the video part, we have that and it would be nice in
The situation you're talking about, but I haven't used it a lot
Because it eats up so much SIM card and we have a camcorder.

That's my 2 cents.

Chelsa said...

i have wanted a dslr, but haven't broken down and gotten one, b/c i KNOW that i wouldn't ever change it off the automatic setting... most of the time when i'm taking pics it's a quick snap of something cute my kids are doing and i don't have time to change settings!! i'm def. no photographer!

i do have a really nice camera (just not a dslr) it's a nikon 110? i think there is a letter in front of that but i can't remember what it is lol. we got it over the summer when my old camera (more of a purse camera) quit working.

as for the video part... my camera has it, but i have to say i've never used it either! maybe i should try that?! lol!

good luck w/ your decision!

Ashley said...

Girl.... It's $250... that's not a lot of money to upgrade your camera and get the memories that you NEED to save. Spend the extra money!

Rhonda said...

UPDATE: I think what I've decided to do is to keep my camera (WHOO-HOO!!!!) and still keep my trusty, but fuzzy point and shoot in the bottom of my diaper bag. When we run across a good deal or when it totally bites the dust, I will get another decent replacement to have at all times and to capture little video clips when needed. Best of both worlds! :) Thanks for your input!