Saturday, April 2, 2011

Best Laid Plans

My amazing husband pulled through this morning (like every Saturday that we have nothing going) and let me sleep to my heart's content.  Truth be told, I'd stay in that bed til 4pm if I didn't feel the tug of wanting to hang out as a family of 4.  But as I rolled out around 10am, it hit me that I wanted to get out of the house today!  It's spring, so it was time to head to Fredericksburg to pick strawberries.  This has become a tradition for the past 4 years, and it's one of my favorite days of the year. 
2008

 2009
 2010

So, I had it all envisioned....we would all get ready at lightening speed, get to the strawberry fields in about an hour, pick til our boxes were overflowing, then, following tradition, head into town to eat some delicious Pasta Bella lunch, shop a bit, then get some great naps on the way home.  That didn't seem too lofty of a plan - right?! 

Well....here's how it really went down.....

I headed downstairs to find out if Brad was on board and he totally was (LOVE that about him!).  Annabelle was pumped at the announcement, and we were all able to get ready relatively quickly.  Brad packed Harris' bag perfectly...but seemed to leave out a certain 5 year old that still enjoys snacks and drinks in the car.  Mishap #1.  We get about 5 miles down the road, and Annabelle starts asking if it was time for lunch.  My blood pressure rises slightly at this point....this is not following the perfect schedule in my head.  So we make a quick exit and pop in Wendy's for a little snack.  Crisis adverted.  About 15 more miles down the road, Harris is still wide awake...Mishap #2...he's supposed to be getting some good rest so he'll be good to go in F'burg!  Fast forward about 5 more miles, Annabelle (having her daddy's car-sick-prone belly), says she needs a bag...QUICK!  Mishap #3...but at least I got her the bag (minus the leftover chicken nuggets) before it was too late.  Good thing I salvaged the nuggets - because that was the next thing she asked for.  At this point, I call the orchard just to make sure they were going to have berries left.  On the weekends in peak season, they sometimes run out before the afternoon.  Mishap #4...he says, "I can't promise that we won't be completely out by the time you get here.  We sold 500 pounds yesterday and have already sold 1,000 pounds this morning."  Yikes.  We could be making this drive for nothing.  (Side note:  Harris is still wide awake.)  Brad and I look at each other and wonder if this was just a big mistake.  Things aren't looking so hot.

BUT, by the time we pull into the orchard, head down to the fields, see red little berries EVERYWHERE, start the hunt for the perfect, ripe, juicy ones, and Little Man is squealing while running free....everything we had been through to get there was completely forgotten.  We got plenty of berries to bring home (and snack on in the car), spent some time at Lady Bird Johnson park where the kids had a blast, ate the best burger I've ever had in my LIFE at my new FAVORITE restaurant in Fredericksburg, Hondo's (thanks to a raving review on facebook), met a guy I've been working with via email to get his website up and saw his adorable jewelry shop and he said, "Thank you so much for all you've done - pick out anything you'd like!  In fact, pick 3 or 4!"  WHAT?!  He also let Annabelle pick out her favorite stone and made her a little sterling silver necklace right there on the spot.  During this 30 minute visit in the store, Harris sat perfectly quiet in his stroller, drinking his milk.  This was a totally different picture than what I had imagined 4 hours earlier!  We decided it was time to head home, and both kids slept the entire way back.


 "Shee?  Shee?"  (see) One of his new favorite words
 Little stinker snuck one!


 I love that little monkey face..."Hey...whatcha eatin'?"
I certainly hope our little monkey friend is not offensive to anyone - I am a firm believer that it is absolutely a necessary accessory to any busy one year who desires and deserves some freedom, but isn't quite responsible enough to handle it.  It's a lifesaver!!!

 "Ma!  Ma!"  (more) From this point on, he just wanted to eat all of them!



 He was loving the park....til he fell down :(

 Now he's happy, again!



Moral of the story: the best laid plans may go astray, but what's in store may be even better!  I can't wait for this day again next year!!

3 comments:

Skoglund said...

We love to go there each year too. One year they were closing the gate as we left at 11am. Crazy!

Ashley said...

OK... #1- LOVE the Leash Harris is on lol! I seriously need to get one of those.

#2- I am so wanting to copy this idea! Is it only opened on the weekends? When is the best time to go?

Chelsa said...

what a great day!!

i'm glad that it turned out so well for you even with all the mishaps!

the pictures are great!