Her first day was great for her and ok for me. I held off the tears until we pulled up to the school - but thankfully, Brad was with us, so he distracted her until I pulled it together. Then we walked in, found her room, found her seat (at the same table with her new little friend), and she started to color. I went over to give her one last kiss and she whispered, "Mom, can you stay just a little while longer?" I said, "No, Baby, I've got to go." She said, "Well, will you come right back?" Oh my....the waterworks began! I kissed her quickly and darted out the door before she saw me. Good thing they had a "Boo-hoo Breakfast" waiting on the kindergarten parents in the library! As we walked away from the school, it happened again...I just couldn't believe we were really leaving her there! But as we got home, and got the day started, things got better and better. When I went to pick her up, I was waiting in the long car line and I saw her walk from her class to the gym where they wait on the parents...I lost it again! She just looked so big!! I don't know that I've ever been more glad to see her! Her first words were, "I had a really fun day!" Then later, she randomly said, "I've got the best kindergarten teacher in the whole universe!!" That made everything better! Right after I picked her up, we headed to Freddy's Frozen Custard to talk about the day over ice cream. We ran into one of her little friends from her class and they were so cute together! "Hey! I know you!" I like seeing her little social side blossom even more!
At dinner, she casually mentioned that she received the "good behavior ticket" for the day. What?! That would have been the first thing I told my mom! Brad and I couldn't have been more proud! (well, maybe Brad was more proud after day 2 when she came home and said she tied with Caden for 1st place when the whole class had a footrace in P.E.! He was beaming!)
I'm starting to see a few positives to this whole school thing. Yes, I miss her like crazy and it cramps my style and we have to drag ourselves out of bed and we can't just head to AR whenever we get the urge and we can't jet-set with Brad when he travels for work...but there are a few advantages.
For one, as a stay at home mom, I constantly focus on balance. As in, balancing our time with learning, pretending, socializing, outdoors, indoors, TV, napping, snacking, exercising, creative play, relaxing, experiencing new things, reading, crafts, etc, etc....but when she's at school 7 hours of the day, I know she's getting many of those accomplished in that time period - so a lot of that pressure is gone. We can just relax and enjoy each other's company. It's nice.
I'm also really enjoying their "standardized dress policy". I thought I was going to hate it. They have to wear polo-style shirts/dresses and then their choice of about 4 different colored bottoms. I thought this would be boring and take out all individuality. But it doesn't! It eliminates fighting over wardrobe in the morning and she can still have a little personal flare with her accessories. Plus, I think she's pretty cute in a polo :)
Also, I've got LOTS of downtime now. I'm getting some much-enjoyed one-on-one time with my little man. Our pace throughout the day is MUCH slower and we can just play and enjoy each other. So far, we haven't had to go and do much like we have the other 8 months of his life. I think he's enjoying our down-time as much as I am :) And I've got lots of time to do little projects around the house that I've been putting off - not that I'm always motivated to get up and do them...but I've got the time! I'm also getting to watch The Today Show again. Annabelle has controlled our morning TV for the past 4.5 years, so it's nice to have the remote again! I'm going to enjoy this before Harris starts having an opinion!
Minus the heat factor, I've also enjoyed my time sitting in the pick-up line in the afternoons. Harris naps then and this gives me some good quiet time. I've got a good 20-30 minutes to read my Bible. I'm trying to get back on track with my goal of going cover to cover.
And lastly, I'm surprised at how much time we still have with Annabelle after she gets home. I go get her at 2:30 and there's still lots of daylight left! I thought I would feel like we never saw her. It's a nice surprise!
So even though I miss her like crazy and am having to slowly accept that someone else is "in control," there are some positives to kindergarten. I think we are going to make it!
Here are some pictures of her first day:
It felt like I was walking the plank...
My mom said that Harris looks worried that we're going to leave him, too!
Her friend, Ariana
"The greatest kindergarten teacher in the whole universe" - Ms. Mitts
3 comments:
All I can say is- I know how you feel! I do see positive sides to it as well :)
that's cool about the whole polo dress code thing. brycen has hardly worn tennis shoes in his entire life- he has always either been in flip flops or cowboy boots... he would wear tennis shoes occasionally, but not on a regular basis. i guess ALL the kids in his class wear tennis shoes so now that's what he wears every day- i'm still adjusting! haha
Good job, Mom! You made it through the very toughest school day. Your next one is when she graduates high school. :-)
What a great documentation of the first day (or 3) expirience! How could you not cry I think I might just reading it
Post a Comment