Friday, January 21, 2011

So...I'm 30. There. I said it.

Yesterday was a big, big, big day for me.  Maybe it was built up bigger in my mind that what it really was, but still...it was big.  I don't know why it's such a mental hump for me, but IT IS!!  I really liked being in my twenties.  That just sounds so young and vibrant!  I mean...people that are in college are in their twenties.  People that are just starting out their independent lives are in their twenties.  Thirty year olds are adults.  No ifs, ands, or buts about it.  Adults. 

Now I know there are good things about it.  I've heard all about the pros of being more self-confident.  The feelings of accomplishment as you are standing on your own.  Blah, blah, blah.  I know there will be good things.  I know that as I woke up today, it was just another day.  Life goes on.  But I just need to be sad about it for a little while.  Mourn the last decade, if you will.

We recently heard a sermon talking about the stages of life.  Assuming you live 90 years, your life is broken into 3 sections.  The first 30 years are the "learning phase".  You are soaking up all the information you can from those around you.  The second 30 years are the "doing phase".  You are putting into practice everything that you have learned.  The third 30 years are the "reflecting and teaching phase".  You use your experience to pass on your victories and failures - helping to improve the following generation.

So since Brad and I are right here at the starting line of our second 30 years, it's time to step it up, roll up our sleeves, and get to work!  To me, this means working to deepen my relationship with Jesus Christ so that the things I'm "doing" are in His will.  So far, I have felt led to take on the new responsibility of teaching preteens on Wednesday night.  I also need to continue helping with the 2 year olds on Sunday mornings.  I need to be a more active member on the Women's Ministry Steering Team.  I need to ensure that I'm effectively reaching out to those around me.  I need to use my spare time to read, learn, and grow so I can be even more effective at "doing".  Now is the time!!!  I have two sets of little eyes below that are watching my every move.  They are soaking in everything that I do and say.  If they are in their "learning phase,"  I want to make sure the lessons I'm teaching are valuable.


I guess this is all part of growing up, huh?!  Maybe it's not all that bad.  I've had 30 great years where I have learned some amazing, hard, fun, painful, valuable life lessons.  I know I've got many more to learn along the way, but I can't solely be a student forever...so I've got to suck it up and put this stuff into practice!

As sad as I was about yesterday, it turned out to be a fantastic day!  I just love birthdays and I love what facebook has done for birthdays!  I just love all the well-wishes and hearing from people from all different phases of your life.  I love the cards, texts, phone calls.  It's just a special day! 

Brad had told me earlier that there was no need to fix supper (thank goodness!).  So when he got home, he said we would probably eat around six and asked if mexican sounded ok.  Well...I could eat mexican every meal of the day - that's one reason we moved here!  So we headed out for what I expected to be a quiet little meal with the 4 of us.  When we pulled up to Chuy's, I was pumped!  I LOVE that place and don't go very often.  It was PACKED and when we got inside, I looked to my left and saw the faces of some of my most precious friends!!  Brad had planned a party!!!! 

The whole crew


The little girls


The big girls


Brad, Travis, & Babies


The food and the company was great - but I couldn't have been more excited when he brought out my very own , fully iced cookie cake with my name on it!!  Now I know this is standard birthday ritual.  But this is the first time he's ever celebrated me with a cake with my name on it!!  It's the little things in life...



Annabelle loved it, too!


It was so so so delicious.  The kind of delicious sweetness that tickles the inside of your mouth as you eat it.  Don't tell anyone, but I ate the remainder for breakfast this morning.  :)

After dinner, he gave me my gift.  A Nikon D3000!!!  Now I don't know much about photography, but I know I needed a new camera (see pictures above!) and I know that I'm pumped about this one!! 

(I love Shawn's face here!)




I'm oh so intimidated, excited, scared, and giddy about this gift!  I've got LOTS to learn and I'm not sure I will ever be good at it or feel comfortable with it...but I know that I played around with it this morning and LOVE what I was able to capture with just the auto settings.  What a great gift!!  I love being able to see the little details like snot in his nose and drool on his chin ;)





(this is is most favorite place to play in the house...bottom shelf of my baker's rack in the kitchen :)

I'm SO thankful for my sweet husband, for all the sweet little pictures and notes that Annabelle gave me yesterday, for the outpouring of love that I felt from family and friends.  Even though I'm 30, (yikes!  it still hurts a little to admit!)....life is good! 

Now I've got to go get to work!!  :)

8 comments:

Chelsa said...

Happy belated Birthday! I'm glad turning 30 wasn't too bad!

Burtons Blessings said...

So glad you had a good birthday!
Enjoy your Nikon! I LOVE mine and already want an upgrade, even though I dont entirely know how to use my D40 :)

melissa said...

Yay, happy 30th! It is a little hard to digest the 3, I totally understand!

And...of course, congratulations on your new camera! SOOOO fun!!! If you take the time to learn how to use, you will rock it in no time!

Ashley said...

Happy Birthday! Looks like it was a good one.

The Huffmans said...

I love this post! It brought tears to my eyes. You do such a great job on your blog! I'm so glad I'll get to share in your next 30 years with you!
PS - Love the camera! Yea!!

The Huffmans said...

I love this post! It brought tears to my eyes. You do such a great job on your blog! I'm so glad I'll get to share in your next 30 years with you!
PS - Love the camera! Yea!!

Skoglund said...

Happy Birthday!! Fun new camera. I hear 30 is not that bad, but I would not know. I have been 29 for a few years now!

The Barton Family said...

Thirty isn't as bad as I thought it would be!! it's actually growing on me. Glad you had a great day! Happy Birthday!